What is Samba Server ?
Samba is a networking protocol that allows you to share files and print services between windows and linux machine. It uses the port number 445/Tcp.
Server Message Block(SMB) now well known as Common Internet File System (CIFS)
Benefits Of Samba Server
- Windows share can be accessed and mount on linux machine.
- Can be configured as Primary Domain Controller(PDC) and as Backup Domian Controller (BDC) for a samba based PDC.
- Provides Windows Internet Named Service (WINS) name resolution.
- Samba configuration file = /etc/samba/smb.conf
- Samba linux user mappings = /etc/samba/smbusers
- Samba log file = /var/log/samba
- Samba startup/stop directive = /etc/sysconfig/samba
- Samba user password = /var/lib/samba/private/smbpasswd
Samba Commands to remember
- Test Samba Configuration file
- User password Set
Smbpasswd –a username
- Check Access for client from server
Smbclient -L //localhost –U username