What is Samba Server a networking protocol that allows you to share files and print services between Windows and Linux machines? Samba uses port number 445 and 137-139 for TCP. We have mentioned the samba server configuration file location, port number, and commands as well in Linux.
Server Message Block(SMB) now well known as Common Internet File System (CIFS). Samba version 4 can also be used as an Active Directory in Linux Server.
What is the Samba Server and features :
If you want to block the bulk of files and print sharing traffic, you need to block both port 445 and 139.
Check Out: Nagios Service failed To Start
Benefits Of Samba Server
- Windows share can be accessed and mount on the Linux machine.
- It can be configured as Primary Domain Controller(PDC) and as Backup Domain Controller (BDC) for a samba based PDC.
- Provides Windows Internet Named Service (WINS) name resolution.
Packages required for Samba
Check Out: Restore & Backup Of MySQL Server
Configuration File locations:
Samba configuration file = /etc/samba/smb.conf
Samba linux user mappings = /etc/samba/smbusers
Samba log file = /var/log/samba
Samba startup/stop directive = /etc/sysconfig/samba
Samba user password = /var/lib/samba/private/smbpasswd
Commands to remember
- Test Samba Configuration file
- User password Set
smbpasswd –a username
- Check Access for a client from the server
smbclient -L //localhost –U username
4. We can check the samba version using samba –version
You’re done samba server configuration location port number commands in linux